Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has decided to update the entire application submission process for Canada’s spousal and common-law partner sponsorship programs.
According to IRCC, this initiative will convert the submission system for both inland and outland spousal sponsorship programs into a fully digital mode. Earlier the online application system was optional for the program. However, IRCC has allowed spousal and common-law partner sponsorship applications to be accepted online only now.
IRCC on digitizing says, “the online system will give more flexibility to the clients”. In addition, clients will also receive timely notifications for submitting applications. The entire system for programs will be managed by the Permanent Residence Portal. The portal is already active for other online programs since March 31, 2021. Furthermore, applicants who are unable to use the system online can contact IRCC for other submission alternatives.
To be eligible to sponsor your spouse and common-law partner under the sponsorship program, the candidate must
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Meet certain income requirements and sign an undertaking to support your partner financially.
- Not be receiving social help from any person or government other than a disability.
- Clear all the background, medical and security checks.
Spousal and Common-law Partner Sponsorship Application Process
Before applying for the program, you must ensure that both the sponsor and the dependent applicant must meet the eligibility criteria. This means the candidate needs to submit two applications: one from the Canadian sponsor and the dependent’s permanent residence application.
Follow the procedure in four steps;
- Visit the Canadian government website to read all the important instructions on filling up the application form.
- Pay the application fee online, including
- Processing fee for each applicant
- Right of Permanent Residence fee
- Biometrics fee
- Other fees, if mentioned
3. Submit your application via Canada’s Permanent Residence Portal
4. Deposit all the required sponsorship documents
Documents that you can use to show that you share financial responsibilities include:
- Joint credit card statements
- Joint tax returns
- Pay stubs or other evidence of joint financial contributions to household expenses