Connect with us


Post-Graduation Work Permit Holders Can Get Extension

Austin Campbell



Post-Graduation Work Permit Holders Can Get Extension

Canadian Immigration Minister, Sean Fraser recently announced that Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) holders who expire between September 20, 2021, and December 31, 2022, may qualify for the one-time extension. This is good news for anyone who owns an expiring PGWP.

The amendment is made to accommodate the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) applicants who were not able to apply for immigration through the Express Entry pathway since September 21, 2021. IRCC put a hold on the draws conducted for these applicants, who are mostly PGWP holders and in a quest to reduce the backlog in immigration applications. The federal government is planning to resume the draw from July 6.

Usually, the Post-Graduate Work Permits are a one-and-done deal that permits foreign students of qualifying full-time programs to get a work permit for up to three years. Although, the latest update will permit suitable PGWP holders to apply for a new open work permit which will be valid for up to 18 months. This update was announced in April, however, the details are yet to come.

Meanwhile, Post-Graduate Work Permit holders are experiencing precarious situations as their documents are expiring. Right now, they may have to get a new work permit, quit their jobs, or even move out of Canada.

Every year, thousands of PGWP holders turn into permanent residents as they’re already well-versed with the Canadian labour market because of their study and work experience in Canada. Last year, more than 88000 PGWP holders attained Canadian permanent residency. The Federal government of Canada believes that more than 50,000 immigrants can benefit from this latest update.


Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

PGWP is an open work permit that allows international students to successfully work for any Canadian employer. This permit can be used as a pathway to permanent residency. A lot of studies have proven that immigrants with Canadian experience before moving to Canada tend to fare better in the job market than those who immigrated recently.

To qualify for the PGWP, foreign students are required to study full-time for at least 8-months at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). The study program must offer a degree, diploma, or certificate.







Fulfill Your Canadian DreamImmigrate to Canada!

Fast and reliable Canada immigration services by Ms. Eivy Joy Quito, an active member of the CICC (No. R512178).