On November 23, Canada held its eleventh all-program Express Entry draw. In this draw, IRCC invited 4,750 candidates with a minimum comprehensive ranking system score of 491. Qualifying candidates were invited from the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), and the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).
In December 2020, all-program Express Entry draws were paused for over 1.5 years. During the pause, applicants from the CEC or Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) were issued invitations to apply (ITAs). The draws were put on hold due to a backlog in applications caused by COVID-19-related travel restrictions.
In September 2021, IRCC also paused Express Entry draws for the CEC. The number of ITAs in the draw is the same as the last two however, the CRS is continuing to fall with each express entry draw.
Changes to NOC
On November 16, IRCC introduced the National Occupation Classification (NOC) 2021, an updated NOC system that will be used to determine an Express Entry candidate’s profession and skill level. While the 2016 NOC system required Express Entry candidates to have work experience classified in NOC skill types 0, A, or B. However, the new system distinguishes IRCC’s occupations into TEER (Training, Education, Experience, and Responsibilities).
Here’s the list of the skill type categories for NOC 2016 and 2021;
|NOC 2016||NOC 2021|
|Skill Type 0||TEER 0|
|Skill Type A||TEER 1|
|Skill Type B||TEER 2|
|Skill Type B||TEER 3|
|Skill Type C||TEER 4|
|Skill Type D||TEER 5|
As Express Entry Shifts to NOC 2021: Changes in Eligibility
With the shift to NOC 2021, 16 occupations will be added to the list of newly eligible ones for Express Entry. Here’s a list of 16 eligible occupations:
- Payroll administrators
- Dental assistants and dental laboratory assistants
- Nurse aides, orderlies, and patient service associates
- Pharmacy technical assistants and pharmacy assistants
- Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
- Sheriffs and bailiffs
- Correctional service officers
- By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers
- Estheticians, electrologists, and related occupations
- Residential and commercial installers and servicers
- Pest controllers and fumigators
- Other repairers and servicers
- Transport truck drivers
- Bus drivers, subway operators, and other transit operators
- Heavy equipment operators
- Aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors
- Three newly ineligible occupations:
- Other performers
- Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport, and fitness
- Tailors, dressmakers, furriers, and milliners
Express Entry in 2023
In 2023, Express Entry will shift from focusing on CRS scores and instead conduct draws that permit Canada to welcome immigrants to strengthen labour market requirements and need.
An Overview of Express Entry
Canada’s Express Entry immigration program is one of the fastest options for newcomers. The system uses the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to evaluate the profiles of the candidates. High-scoring candidates shall receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA). Under this system, you can get permanent residency status in six months.
Express Entry is the application management system for three Canadian immigration programs: Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), and Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).
The candidate’s application under one of the above categories will be reviewed by the IRCC officer. If it gets approved, the candidate is officially a permanent resident of Canada.