The super visa is a temporary visa through which citizens of Canada and permanent residents can invite their parents and grandparents for an extended time period of up to 5 years with no renewals.
The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that allows reuniting with parents and grandparents multiple times for a period of up to 10 years. Moreover, there is no draw or lottery system to get a super visa. Any Canadian citizen can sponsor their foreign parents or grandparents under Super Visa.
Super Visa Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the Super Visa, an applicant;
- Must be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- May include a spouse on the application
- But may not include dependents in the application
- Must not be inadmissible to Canada on accounts of criminality or ill-health
- Must be in a relationship or have strong ties to their home country.
As per IRCC guidelines, the child or grandchild of the Super Visa applicant, must prove and meet certain income requirements, approved by the Low-Income Cut-Off (LICO)
Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) Table
No. of Persons Minimum Gross Income 1 Person (Child or Grandchild) $25,921 2 Persons $32,270 3 Persons $39,672 4 Persons $48,167 5 Persons $54,630 6 Persons $61,613 7 Persons $68,598 If more than 7 Persons, additional income per person needs to be $6,985
The objective of IRCC’s income criteria is to determine the child’s or grandchild’s financial ability and if he can financially support his family in Canada. He can prove his financial status through;
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 current tax slips
- Employment Insurance Remainder
- A Job Letter with salary information
- Bank Statements
- Pay Stubs
The Super Visa applicants must also prove through a letter signed by a child or grandchild which confesses;
- A financial promise to secure them till the time of their stay
- Number of persons in the family
- Valid copy of child or grandchild’s Canadian Citizenship or PR
It is mandatory for the applicant to be medically insured by an Insurance Company in Canada which is;
- Must be valid for a minimum of 1 year
- Must have an emergence coverage amount of $100,000
- Must have proof of full-paid medical insurance
Apply for the Super Visa
After determining your eligibility and ensuring complete documentation, the applicant may proceed with the process of application only at the Canadian visa office. Post submission of an application.
IRCC will be responsible to review the application and is free to ask the applicant
- To go to an interview in the applicant’s country
- May ask the applicant to send more information
- To bring a medical exam and a police certificate