Connect with us

Study to Immigrate

Canada has always been a welcoming country for international students to pursue their graduation or post-graduation courses. It encourages foreign students to stay, work and contribute to the country’s economy.

The country paves the way for international students who complete their post-secondary in Canada to stay and obtain Permanent Canadian Immigration. Once they have completed their studies at an eligible

Canadian post-secondary institution, international graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which allows them to work in Canada.

Under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, international graduates can obtain three years of open work permits, allowing them to work for any Canadian employer in any industry.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, a candidate must have the following:

  • Must have studied full-time for 8 months preceding the completion of their program and must have graduated from.
  • A public postsecondary educational institution (university, college or CEGEP).
  • A private postsecondary educational institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for operations from government grants.
  • A Canadian private educational institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees.
  • Must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving confirmation from their academic institution stating that they fulfill all the requirements of the program.
  • Must have a valid Study Permit when applying for the Work Permit.
  • The program of study must be a minimum of 2 years for the graduate to obtain the three years’ work permit.
  • If the program was less than 2 years but longer than 8 months, still the graduate is eligible to obtain a work permit for the same duration as the program of study.

Applying for Permanent Residency

If you are an international student who has recently graduated from an accredited Educational Institution in Canada and chooses to make Canada your permanent home then you likely have the qualities to make a successful transition from Temporary to Permanent residence. However, obtaining a Permanent Residency in Canada could be a complicated and stressful task. To help you at every step to better understand the process, we have put together a few resources below:

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

The CEC program is an immigration program that allows candidates with a specific skilled working experience obtained in Canada with proper authorization to immigrate permanently. The individual must have at least 1 year of work experience or have at least 1560 hours of paid work (continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time).

To be eligible for the program, an individual must possess the following:

  • Management job experience
  • Professional job experience –candidates usually need a degree from a university for these jobs (e.g. doctors, architects, etc.)
  • Technical job and skilled trades experience – the candidate usually need a college diploma or he/she must be trained as an apprentice to do these job (e.g. chefs, electricians, etc.)
  • The paid work experience must have occurred within the last three years before you apply. Self- employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student does not count under this program.

The Quebec Experience Class Program (PEQ)

The Quebec Experience Class Program (PEQ) is equivalent to the federal Canadian Experience Class Program (CEC), but much easier and an individual can qualify sooner under this program than the CEC program. This immigration program allows international students or temporary international workers to apply for Immigration to Canada and establish themselves permanently in the Province of Quebec. It should be noted that the PEQ is not a point-based system such as the QSW program. You are qualified only if you meet the specific requirements. The designated learning institutions include colleges, universities and technical vocational schools that have been specifically recognized by the Canadian Government to accept foreign students.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible to apply for a Canadian Study Permit, an aspiring student must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • A student must obtain an Acceptance Letter from a Designated Learning Institution;
  • Must obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec, if the student wishes to study in Montreal or the Province of Quebec.

Additional Documents

In order to apply for a Study Permit, an applicant is required to submit a set of documents, which are as follows:

  • A valid passport;
  • Proof of adequate financial ability to support yourself financially during your stay in Canada, including your tuition fee and other expenses.
  • Be in good health because IRCC may ask for a medical exam;
  • Bank statement;
  • Documentation of education loan from a financial institution

*Note that these are the basic documents requirement.



PNP Draws & Updates

OntarioJune 11244 invitations
QuebecJune 10 (invitations issued on May 30)1441 invitations
ManitobaJune 6254 invitations
British ColumbiaJune 468 invitations
British ColumbiaMay 2871 invitations
Check Out the Full List of PNP Draws➜

Canada Immigration News Podcast


Recent Express Entry Draws

DrawNumber Of InvitationsMinimum CRS Points
297 (CEC)3000522
296 (PNP)2985676
295 (French Lang.)1400410
294 (All Program)2095529
293 (STEM)4500491
All Express Entry Draw Results ➜


Trending Searches