Connect with us

Canadian Experience Class

Get information on how to become a permanent resident under the Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is the program for you if you are a skilled worker with work experience obtained in Canada. This is a federal program, and you can apply for it through Express Entry. The minimum requirements are similar to those of other federal programs:

Language ability

To be eligible to apply for the Canadian Experience Class the candidates are required to take any one of the following IRCC-approved language ability test:

  • IELTS – General (English)
  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
  • Test d’évaluation de français (TEF)
  • Test de Connaissance du français (TCF)

Candidates who prove language ability in both English and French can obtain additional points under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

Skilled work experience in Canada

Applicants need to have at least a year of skilled work experience in Canada within the last 3 years before the date of application. The work experience must be either full-time 1 year (1,560 hours), or an equal amount in part-time of legal work in Canada. Work experience can be in one of the following National Occupation Classification job groups:

  • Managerial job – Restaurant managers, mine managers, shore captains.
  • Professional job – Doctors, dentists, and architects). This group is typically workers with a degree from a university in a specific field.
  • Technical job- Chefs, plumbers, and electricians.

Working during full-time studies, as well as self-employment, do not count into work experience under this program.


There are no requirements for education in the Canadian Experience Class program, but having one will grant you extra points in the ranking system. You will need to get an Educational Credentials Assessment report for your foreign education.