The latest NOC system is already in practice by Employment Development Canada (EDSC) and Statistics Canada (StatsCan), While IRCC will be implementing the system in the month of November. This update will affect the Ontario Immigration Nominee Program (OINP) by filtering what occupations are eligible for each stream. For instance, OINP required a job offer or work experience in NOC skill types 0, A, or B will fall within TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3.
Under NOC 2021, For OINP’s Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream which previously required a job offer in NOC Skill Level C or D occupations, the stream will now need job offers in TEER 4 or 5. In this reform, some occupations will be changing the NOC label and this will impact the streams they are qualified for.
Canadian province Ontario is also requesting to require Employer Job Offer Foreign Worker stream candidates to have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Level 5 or above. The province mentions adding new language criteria will support ‘the program’s interest in encouraging employees’ successful integration and working to protect candidates and the OINP against any misrepresentation and other integrity-related concerns.
Education criteria for the Employer Job Offer International Student stream will also be discussed. Ontario is looking for people who will be applying with a certificate with a minimum of one year to fulfill the criteria of the Ontario College Graduate Certificate as mentioned under the Ontario Qualifications Framework. Also, Ontario aspires to make amendments to the minimum amount for the OINP’s administrative monetary fines.
NOC 2021 to Impact Express Entry Eligibility
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is planning to implement NOC 2021 on November 16.The amendment in Express Entry-eligible occupations will subsequently affect admissibility to Ontario’s Express Entry-aligned PNPs.
The following 16 occupations will qualify for Express Entry through the projected regulatory alterations:
- Payroll administrators
- Dental assistants and dental laboratory assistants
- Nurse aides, orderlies, and patient service associates
- Pharmacy technical assistants and pharmacy assistants
- Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
- Sheriffs and bailiffs
- Correctional service officers
- By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers
- Estheticians, electrologists and related occupations
- Residential and commercial installers and servicers
- Pest controllers and fumigators
- Other repairers and servicers
- Transport truck drivers
- Bus drivers, subway operators and other transit operators
- Heavy equipment operators
- Aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors
- Conversely, these three occupations will hereby become ineligible specifically through Ontario’s Immigrant Nominee Program
- Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport, and fitness
- Tailors, dressmakers, furriers, and milliners