Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has recently announced that the lottery for the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) 2022 has been completed. IRCC has confirmed that it has distributed 23,100 invitations to apply to sponsors in the 2022 PGP pool. Thus, by obtaining an ITA this year, sponsors can invite their parents or grandparents to Canada.
However, those who didn’t receive any ITA can still bring their parents or grandparents to Canada via the Super Visa program.
About the Super Visa
The Super Visa is a temporary resident visa (TRV) that enables sponsored parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or PRs to visit their Canadian family members for up to five years at a time without requiring a visa renewal. Additionally, the Visa is a multi-entry visa that allows reuniting with parents and grandparents multiple times for a period of up to 10 years. Moreover, the super visa is an alternative to the Parents and Grandparents Program, which offers permanent residence status.
Super Visa: Eligibility and Application Process
To stand eligible for a Super Visa, a sponsor;
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Should be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (PR)
- Must be in good financial standing
- Should be residing in Canada at the time of super visa application
To qualify for the program, individuals coming to Canada;
- Must be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Should apply for the super visa from outside Canada
- Must have documents that prove the child or grandchild’s minimum income
- Must prove parental relationship or have strong ties to their home country.
- Should be admissible to Canada
- must also prove through a letter signed by a child or grandchild which says;
- a financial promise to secure them till the time of their stay
- number of persons in the family
- A valid copy of the child or grandchild’s Canadian Citizenship or PR
The candidate must also have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
- Valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
- Minimum of $100,000 of emergency coverage
- Proof of the medical insurance has been paid in full
To provide evidence for the availability of enough funds as identified by the Low-Income Cut-Off (LICO), the following documents must be attached;
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the latest tax year
- Employment Insurance Stubs
- An employment letter that includes salary and hiring date
- Pay stubs
- Bank statements
The application process for a Super Visa program is as follows;
- Prepare your documents
- Apply online via IRCC’s portal
- Receive a document checklist
- Pay the application fee
- Submit your application
After the application submission, IRCC will thoroughly review the application and ensure that it has all the essential documents. IRCC may ask the candidate:
- Go to an interview with their officials in the applicant’s country
- Send more information
- Get a medical exam
- Get a police verification certificate
- Benefits of the Super Visa
The benefits of the Extended Super Visa
Earlier the program only allowed sponsored entries to Canada for up to two years. Going forward; timeline details are mentioned as follows;
- Any Super Visa applicant who entered Canada with a valid visa before July 4 will not get an extension unless they leave Canada before and re-enter the country after this date.
- Applicants already inside Canada can apply for a Super Visa extension for up to two additional years.
- Individuals who applied for the Super Visa on, after, or before July 4, 2022, will be able to benefit from the increased length of stay (up to five years at a time);