Connect with us

Immigration Announcement

Getting Canadian citizenship for US born kids

Peter Fey



Getting Canadian citizenship for U.S.-born kids

Children born to Canadians in the United States will automatically receive Canadian citizenship without any hassle. Canadians should apply for a “Proof of Citizenship” if they want to pass on citizenship to their kids who were born in the United States. If you were born in the United States and have a Canadian parent, you might also be allowed to apply for a Proof of Citizenship by yourself.

According to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), citizenship can be passed down to the first generation children who are born outside of the country. The only requirement is that at least one biological or legal parent should be a Canadian citizen when the baby is born.

How to go about it?

If you are unsure about how to proceed, you should contact a lawyer who will tell you everything you need to know about completing a Proof of Citizenship application.

In order to get citizenship status for children born in the United States, you must submit your application for a Proof of Citizenship or the Canadian citizenship certificate. The website of IRCC states that the application will cost you just about $75 CAD. IRCC takes about five months to process the application. If your situation requires immediate attention, the immigration department might be able to expedite the processing. Once you get the certificate, your kids will receive all the benefits that come with being Canadian. Moreover, they will not have to abide by the coronavirus travel restrictions.


When you submit the application, make sure that your documents are clear and easy-to-read. IRCC will need you to submit the original birth certificate with the name of the Canadian parent.

However, you should be aware that being a Canadian citizen does not necessarily guarantee if your child will be eligible to apply for Proof of Citizenship. There are certain factors that can influence your eligibility for passing on Canadian citizenship.

Continue Reading