Express entry immigration candidates who work in tech are most likely to be invited to Alberta with its new immigration program. The Canadian province of Alberta is introducing the latest fast-track immigration process for tech workers.
On January 13, Alberta immigration minister, Tyler Shandro, announced the accelerated tech pathway and has started to accept invitations to the new program in December. In order to stand eligible for the program, tech professionals are required to have a profile in the federal government’s express entry system and be eligible for the Alberta Express Entry system.
This new pathway offers an opportunity to the tech professionals from Canada and abroad to work and attain permanent residency in six months if they have a job offer in an in-demand tech industry occupation. Alongside application support, tech workers will also receive a letter of help from the government of Alberta if they need a work permit.
With more than 3000 tech companies in Alberta, the province’s tech sector has seen an impeccable growth of 233% since 2012 as per the recent studies conducted by the 2021 Alberta technology Deal Flow. Although, there will be numerous challenges that the tech companies face such as workforce, accessibility in terms of sales and technology.
Process of Applying for the Accelerated Tech Pathway
You have to be first stand eligible for the Alberta Express Entry stream in order to be shortlisted for the Accelerated Tech Pathway. The PNP application is comprised of three steps:
1. Get your profile in the Express Entry System
The first and foremost step is to get into the express entry pool of immigration candidates. One needs to be eligible for one of the following three immigration programs: The Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Federal Skilled Trades Program. In order to apply for the accelerated tech pathway, you will need to fill out an online form for AINP. This form will involve your information about your express entry profile and tech job in Alberta. To be eligible for the tech pathway, express entry candidates need to have a job offer or be currently working for an Alberta-based company. Here are the 23 eligible occupations that are listed below in order of their NOC code.
- 0013 Senior managers – financial, communications, and other business services
- 0112 Human resources managers
- 0131 Telecommunication carriers manager
- 0211 Engineering managers
- 0212 Architecture and science managers
- 0213 Computer and information systems managers
- 0512 Managers – publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting, and performing arts
- 0601 Corporate sales managers
- 1123 Professional occupations in advertising, marketing, and public relations
- 1121 Human resources professionals
- 1223 Human resources and recruitment officers
- 2131 Civil engineers
- 2132 Mechanical engineers
- 2133 Electrical and electronics engineers
- 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- 2161 Mathematicians, statisticians, and actuaries
- 2171 Information systems analysts and consultants
- 2172 Database analysts and data administrators
- 2173 Software engineers and designers
- 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- 2175 Web designers and developers
- 2221 Biological technologists and technicians
- 2232 Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians
2. AINP evaluates your eligibility
The AINP determines the minimum eligibility criteria for the Alberta express entry stream. In this case, AINP will send you an email inviting you to a provincial nomination. One cannot apply with the invitation and cannot use a nomination under a different AINP stream to apply.
After receiving the email invitation from Alberta, one ensures to meet the assessment criteria. If the AINP finds out any fraud or misrepresentation in an application, they can ban the person from re-applying for up to five years.
The completed application goes into a pool of eligible applications and further AINP considers these applications for a provincial nomination. If the province of Canada offers you a nomination, you have 30 days to accept through an online express entry profile. Also, 600 CRS points will be added to your express entry score.
This nomination does not guarantee that you will become a PR, but it does push you to the top of the express entry pool to get permanent residence once the federal government sends you an ITA in an express entry draw.